The latest news stories and info from the Associated…
With 42 wins in the past four seasons, Mark Dantonio and Co. is seeing the reward.
Michigan State announced raises for Dantonio and his coaching staff Tuesday.
The Spartans' head coach, who has a 64-29 record in seven years in East Lansing, will make $3.64 million annually under the terms of the new contract.
"The amended contract and enhanced compensation reflect his and his coaching staff's value in the current marketplace," athletic director Mark Hollis said in a statement.
Dantonio's previous salary was just under $2 million, but the new figure will put him as the third-highest paid head coach in the Big Ten.
In addition, a year has been added to Dantonio's deal and the amended contract gives him the opportunity to work with the Michigan State athletics department for five years after he retires from coaching – an opportunity that was set for two in his previous contract.
Defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi, who made $512,000 last season, also will see a sizeable raise as he is slated now to make $904,580 -- the highest salary for an assistant coach in the Big Ten.
Michigan State returns its entire coaching staff from last season and all assistants received raises.
"Coaching staff stability is extremely important for the long-term success of a program," Dantonio said in a statement. "We have outstanding coaches and support personnel. We're very excited about what our program has accomplished over the last seven years, and we believe the best is yet to come."
In total, $785,000 was allocated to assistant coach salaries. The new figures are as follows.
• co-offensive coordinator/tight ends coach Jim Bollman – $368,333
• secondary coach Harlon Barnett – $260,000
• defensive line coach Ron Burton – $243,750
• quarterbacks coach/recruiting coordinator Brad Salem – $254,583
• wide receivers coach Terrence Samuel – $243,750
• offensive line coach Mark Staten – $254,583
• linebackers/special teams coach Mike Tressel – $260,000
• co-offensive coordinator/running backs coach Dave Warner – $379,167